Friday, June 21, 2013

Your Time Is Gonna Come...

A wonderful welcome to April...and with it...much more forgiving running weather. The Monument Ave 10K was next on the hit list and it was about time...all about the time. This was my first race last year and now I wanted to go into it like a lightning bolt...I wanted under an hour. This meant my pace had to be 9:30-9:45 min miles for the duration...no easy task for 6.2 miles.
This race was no small time dance...with 50 some start corrals and over 32,000 runners, this is the only event that the winner can take a shower and a nap before the last person crosses the start line. My specific corral was a seeded one...which meant I had to prove I could do the time so I used my Turkey Trot time which was a lean 29:00 for a 5K. No shortage of irony here as well as coworker and friend Larisa Washburn who also did the Turkey Trot...used her time and ended up in the same corral as me. This couldn't work out any better...I could feed off the crazy/fun energy that she gives off naturally...even if it was for only a mile or two before she smoked me! On top of that I also ran into a former coworker and future super therapist Holly Paton...turns out I know a lot of people in the running world.
The goal was going to be a tough one to reach, but I had energy and motivation on my side...and my mom even came up from Portsmouth to see me run again...which meant a lot. So my music was running and now so am I...with the sun shining and a perfect pace rolling out my adoring fans could only catch a quick glimpse of the tube sock before I was gone. I am keeping an eye on my time as each mile dropped off and my legs were really feeling it...but I pushed on. I knew how upset I would be if I had to walk at all and to my pure enjoyment and pain...I came in at 59:15...right on the mark! On my way home I popped over to Wegmans for the ingredients to an epic turkey sandwich that would conveniently display my finish time for all of Facebook to see.


Larisa "LDawg" and Natedogg


A new PR never tasted so good


No comments:

Post a Comment