Monday, December 30, 2013

You Shook Me...

I sit at my computer a lot and go through several websites that detail races in my area...which I promptly narrow down to half marathons since there is no need to show me those 50-100 milers...you would have to be certifiable! I sign up...I train...I run...I get a medal...post to Facebook and ice down, but this one will be different.

So for the Richmond AmFam Half Marathon I decided to run for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training and raise funds for research and assistance to families. This hit close to home as I had known a couple of people affected. So now I get setup with a coach for proper race training and fundraising coordinators to help me through and leading up to race day. This isn't the first time I had gone through fundraising of course as a coupe of years earlier had raised money for the Special Olympics by doing a "Polar Plunge" at Virginia beach in the middle of February...exhilarating to say the least!

Our Fredericksburg group met up weekly either on Saturday or Sunday to train and gain the good advice of our coach Bob Cooper...who he himself does those ultra races mentioned earlier. With great guidance surely helped us better prepare for what we were getting ready to partake in. The fundraising was something that had me a little worried...they set you a minimum of $1500 to raise which was way  more than I had ever done before, but with constant tips and advise from the LLS staff...the money started rolling in. My worries turned to realization...once I had put it out into the social media mix what I was working towards did the stories from friends and family started rolling in...so many affected...the stories ranged from triumph to of course...heartbreak.

Incentivevisers...not completely sure if that's a word or not as I am hand writing this draft (computer says "No") but I'm leaving it in anyway...we can call it gimmicks too I guess. First, autographed tube socks with certificate of authenticity...this really got the ball rolling. Later on added custom autographed prints (the ego swells) in addition to socks...gotta get photoshopped involved somehow. Now how about something people will really want...Bonnie's homemade chocolate chip cookies...by the dozen...which turned our house into a bakery for a couple of weeks. Little did I know what lay ahead.

A thing of beauty...
Also a thing of beauty!
I was absolutely perfect...a friend remaining anonymous put up $250 challenge if I could push through another $250 in five days. I was tingling with excitement and promptly began posting and messaging like there were no tomorrow...well it was like a snowball rolling down Mount Everest. By that last day I had gained over $600 and with the $250 from the slickest friend I know...put me well over the $1500 goal...and it kept on going....and going! All of a sudden I was over $2000...then $2500. I couldn't believe it. That is when I got the email from LLS noting that I was the second largest fundraiser...in the state of Virginia...wow...and was not far off from first.
I wanted that number one spot...I had come to the conclusion that I will in fact never win a race, but this...this was obtainable. Unfortunately I had exhausted my ideas or "Incentivevisers" down to the last fails safe-hail Mary...shaving my head. I knew that this would do it and the best part was that a wonderful young fighter of leukemia...Alexis...would have the honors as well. I had three weeks to get $300...it took less than five days, pushing me over $3000. So that Saturday afternoon I bid farewell to the mostly grey hair that I didn't care much for anyway and got the perfect cut from the perfect barber.

Buzzed!
So let us get to race day...and my loathing for weather reports. W had the banquet that Friday night before the race and got to meet the team as a whole for inspiration and carbs of course. Got lots of great tips and listened to inspirational speeches, an amazing night. We spent that evening at my dads just outside of Richmond and woke up the next morning...to rain. This was completely unexpected as reports were saying zero percent chance...I should have known. I learn new things all the time with running races and this would be a biggie...when racing out of town...bring ALL your gear no matter how remote thee chances of needing it are. We headed back to the hotel where we had had our banquet the night before and donned our trash bags to stay dry while heading to the start line...chilly and wet, not very ideal...or at all but here we go!

The gun sounded and we were off right down the middle of West Broad street heading right into tepid rain showers squinting to see the road ahead of us...I could feel my socks already damp and knew I was on my way to Blisterville. Eventually the rain died off and my muscles warmed up as the miles counted down...along the way shouts of inspiration from spectators helped propel us forward along with our coaches that were scattered along the route to provide support as well. The wind started to kick up now and i felt my core temp dropping as i was dragging semi-wet clothes on me and the muscles started to ache and tighten. By mile seven I had to pull off for a pit-stop and start the stretching...and about every mile after that too...some days you're hot, and some you're not. The last 300 yards was a steep descent to the finish...sounds ideal right? Not quite the case since the pounding of cold muscles for thirteen miles wears them down to the point of near injury. I felt like a Clydesdale clopping down towards the end and had finally had enough...leaned forward and let the momentum take over powering me across the line into a powerful finish as if we're chasing down first place (he crossed about and hour and a half before me of course). I collected my medal, a nice finishers blanket and some food and water. Thats when the chills set in with sweat and rain soaked clothing feels like a suit of armor as my wife, mom and I trudge back to my car and headed back to dads house to start the recovery process...including Cecil's fried chicken, potato wedges and macaroni and cheese.

I got pretty lucky in the end when it comes to running in wet weather due to the rubbing in your shoes causing blisters the size of quarters and even though I am no foot model, certainly sucks to walk around on...I came out clean and blister free. My usual energetic post race self was not anywhere to be found and just crashed on the couch to reflect over the fifth race of my year...and with all that happened I have to say, the most rewarding. I got to run a race that has been around since the 1970's with a group that raised so much money to fight cancer...with me at the top. Number one in fundraising...number 6872 in the race!

Rockstar



1 comment:

  1. Super proud of you, Nate! you can do anything!
    keep it up (:
    <3 Britt

    and now I'm remembering taking that Plunge!

    ReplyDelete