Monday, September 9, 2013

That's The Way...

So it’s been a while…this is the hard part, getting started. I have so much to write and since the end of “Hell Week”…back to back Half Marathon’s…Patrick Henry Half in Ashland August 24th and Rock and Roll Virginia Beach Sept 1st.
This seemed like a great idea at the time and in the end…it was. Leading up to it I had my doubts about going only a week between two big races. Had I gotten too comfortable? Am I setting myself up for an injury?
I decided that the Patrick Henry’s focus would be light and steady with the big focus on recovery. My Team in Training coach had given me some great advice as well as searching through the internet for more…so here we go…
I had picked up my packet for the Patrick Henry on the Friday before the race as this was a Saturday race…my first Saturday, this would benefit me. I confirmed that this is a no personal audio device race in which I was a little bummed but decided that serious runners don’t need music and I need to be more serious as it was anyway. It’s a 45 minute drive from my house to the start line which meant a “dark” and early wake up at 4:30 and hitting the road. I took the casual drive down as I adjusted from sleep state to alert…a dog in the middle of the road decided to help me out by attempting a date with the bumper of my Dodge Charger at 50 mph lucky for him he got stood up as I screeched around him…wide awake now and my pulse firmly being felt in my face I continued onward. I got a good parking spot and worked my way to the starting area when…for the first time again…had to use the commode pre-race. This comforted me…not the fact that I was the 500th person to use that particular port-o-john but that this urge didn't occur in the middle of my race. We started right next to the train tracks in Ashland just after a huge freight train had passed by…unique race indeed with only 1300 some racers…there were no corrals or pacers…just walk up and start. I like that, not having to crazy anxiety that comes with working your way forwards as I had described in the past as feeling like you were about to partake in D-Day on the beaches of France. So I started off with the temperature at a nice 63 degrees and sunshine…keeping at a light pace that would work very consistently for many miles I had the sound of my feet as well as 1300 others to pass the time away. We spent most of our time in the shade until reaching the country farmlands and was met with a little breeze, but direct sunlight to which I am not solar powered…quite draining most of the time, but the temps remained on our side. The lack of hills for the most part was very nice…until mile 11 back in the shade but a mild grade of a hill that stretched almost a mile long. I trudged on to the finish with a time of 2:40:06…a little more than I would've liked but I didn't want to go nuts on this one as it was. Thus begins the recovery protocol…

First…within only 30 minutes from the finish…carbs and protein…solution? Milk, bananas and bagels…took some from the event and had more waiting in the car.

Second…make it to the grocery store to buy two 20lb bags of ice…then home…see where this is going yet? Yup…a quick shower…slapped on a new pair of under armor briefs and ice bath. I thought it would be funny to post online during but found cognitive thinking was suspended for several minutes. I grew used to it and was feeling so much better and got out after about 15 minutes of soaking. This is in fact the way to go and really…as bad as it sounds…the best idea of all.

Third…more carbs…your muscles have been ripped up and need to repair…evidentially carbs are the key so to the kitchen for some good old fashioned enriched spaghetti followed with water and Gatorade.
So from here keep moving around and gentle stretching through Sunday as well to which I felt amazing. With a week off of any intense running…just some nice walking which is accomplished easily enough at work and monitor for any underlying issues to which there were none…That’s the way indeed.
Love the shirt!
No......words.....


No comments:

Post a Comment