Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Trampled Under Foot...

We had returned home from Pennsylvania and began the work week that Monday morning in clinic treating as normal when I notice my big toe bothering me. It was subtle at first like the nail had gotten irritated but by Wednesday morning it hurt to put any pressure through it. Working in an orthopedic office has its many perks one of which is lightning fast appointments, so at lunch I popped over for a quick check by a professional. I was convinced it had gotten a mild infection as I was still thinking it was in the nail and she order an X-Ray to start. I sat casually in the room as the doctor entered and pulled up the images in the computer…stress fracture.



I was stunned to say the least…it occurred to me the shoes that I ran in were way past their prime and I should have sprung for new ones…my first athletic injury and I found myself on the disabled list for six weeks. Six weeks covering all the rest of September and most of October…the best running weather you could ask for and Mother Nature really rubbed it in good. I was adorned with a rigid bottom walking shoe that all in all was pretty comfortable and lessened the pain immediately, but not the pain of missing the magnificent days laid out before me. Knowing the ramifications first hand from telling patients constantly to adhere to the Doctor’s orders that I as well should take some of my own medicine and halted all running till the next MD appointment in six weeks. The time passed slowly waiting for the figurative gate that was holding me back and six weeks later I was cleared…went directly to VA Runner and got a new pair of shoes went home and released the beast within…well, only a little bit, didn't need to wear these new treads out too quickly!



No comments:

Post a Comment